Ready to Ship!
- Appropriate for children entering first-grade or children needing the next step in reading instruction after our Basic level
- Rooted in evidence-based practices in the science of reading
- Will ship out late July/early August
$229.00 for families new to Pathways.
$199.00 as an Add-On once our Basic level has been completed.
CHOKING HAZARD – Small Parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
The Pathways to Reading Homeschool Proficient Foundational Reading Curriculum can be considered the equivalent of first grade homeschool reading instruction. This curriculum has been thoughtfully crafted to be open-and-go for parents while still maintaining our commitment to excellence in teaching foundational reading skills rooted in evidence-based practices in the science of reading.
Our curriculum places a strong emphasis on explicit and systematic phonemic awareness and phonics instruction, beginning at the sound level, while using principles of Orton-Gillingham multi-sensory instruction. Our unique approach sets the foundation for reading success for all children.
What Your Child Will Learn in Our Proficient Foundational Reading Program:
- Review mouth articulation for all sounds
- Segment and Blend Individual Sounds
- Identify Onset/rime
- Advanced Phonemic Awareness tasks such as omitting and substituting syllables
- Use Vowel Town to learn all vowel sounds and their spellings
- Demonstrate proficiency with consonant digraphs /th/, /th/, /sh, /ch/, /wh/, /ng/
- Learn phonics guides for hard and soft -c and -g, /oy/ at the end of a word, /ow/ at the end of a word
- Read decodable sentences, paragraphs, and books
- Decode multisyllable words with -le endings, -ed past tense, and -tion, and -ture endings
- Begin to establish a sight word vocabulary through the process of orthographic mapping
- Learn high-frequency SNAP words using a variety of strategies
- Practice prosody skills such as inflection, expression, and phrasing
- Learn high-frequency, sophisticated language used in a variety of domains within the context of children’s literature
- Begin to create a network of interconnected words and their meanings
- Listen to engaging and high-quality children’s literature read aloud
- Learn the difference between fiction and nonfiction as well as narrative text and informational text
- Continue implementing important comprehension strategies such as connecting, retelling, predicting, visualizing, and inferring
Writing & Grammar
- Review formation of each letter and practice handwriting
- Learn to identify a noun, verb, and adjective
- Demonstrate proficiency with capitalization and punctuation
- Identify four different types of sentences
- Learn developmentally-appropriate writing strategies
Contents of the Curriculum Kit Include:
- Home Educator’s Guide
- Reinforcement Activity Book (RAB)
- Self-Paced Guide
- Laminated Vowel Town Chart
- Flip & Assist Booklet
- Dive Into Reading Book (Decodable Text)
If you are buying the complete kit (not just the Proficient Add-On), you will also receive:
- Magnetic Letter Board and letters
- Double-sided ABC Chart
- Mouth Articulation Pictures with Mnemonic
- Transparent Arrow for Assists
- Decodable Books
Our curriculum is adapted from Pathways to Reading, a foundational reading curriculum used in classrooms and clinical settings for the last 20 years. Pathways to Reading has been proven in research studies to have a statistically significant impact on student learning.
New to Pathways:
Basic Program Completed:
$229.00 $219.00Successfully Added to your Shopping CartAdding to Cart...
$199.00 $189.00Successfully Added to your Shopping CartAdding to Cart...
Pre-Requisites to Begin This Program without completing our Basic Program:
In order for your child to have success for this program, he/she will need to have these pre-requisite skills. If your child does not demonstrate proficiency in these areas, we highly recommend you start with our Basic Foundational Reading program.
- Identify letter name and sound for -a, -e, -i, -o, -u
- Identify letter name and sound for -b, -c, -d, -f, -g, -h, -j, -k, -l, -m, -n, -p, -qu, -r, -s, -t, -v, -w, -x, -y, -z
- Know directions (left, right, top, bottom)
- Identify a straight line, slanted line, circle
- Segment CVC words (“sat” into /s/, /a/, /t/)
- Blend CVC words
- Spell CVC words with short vowels and basic consonants.
- Demonstrate familiarity with long vowel sounds and decoding CVCe words.