Now Available to Ship!
- Appropriate for kindergarten-age children or children needing the first step in reading instruction
- Rooted in evidence-based practices in the science of reading
CHOKING HAZARD – Small Parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
The Pathways to Reading Homeschool Basic Foundational Reading Curriculum is the first of our programs and can be considered the equivalent of kindergarten reading instruction. This curriculum has been thoughtfully crafted to be open-and-go for parents while still maintaining our commitment to excellence in teaching foundational reading skills rooted in evidence-based practices in the science of reading.
Preview our Scope and Sequence for our Basic Foundational Reading program to learn how our curriculum places a strong emphasis on explicit and systematic phonemic awareness and phonics instruction while using principles of Orton-Gillingham multi sensory instruction. Our unique approach sets the foundation for reading success for all children.
What Your Child Will Learn in Our Basic Foundational Reading Program:
- Learn mouth articulation for all sounds
- Stretch, blend, and segment individual sounds
- Identify Onset/rime
- Advanced Phonemic Awareness tasks such as omitting and substituting syllables
- Identify consonant letters and sounds, including consonant digraphs
- Learn short and long vowel sounds using a concept called Vowel Hill and Vowel Town
- Read CVC words
- Read decodable books specifically aligned with each pool of sounds
- Begin to establish a sight word vocabulary through the process of orthographic mapping
- Practice prosody skills such as inflection, expression, and phrasing
- Learn high-frequency, sophisticated language used in a variety of domains within the context of children’s literature
- Begin to create a network of interconnected words and their meanings
- Listen to engaging and high-quality children’s literature read aloud
- Become familiar with concepts of print and basic elements of a story
- Begin to learn important comprehension strategies such as retelling, predicting, visualizing, connecting and inferring
- Learn left and right
- Recite language and skywrite letters of the alphabet
- Learn how to form letters using developmentally-appropriate instruction that is aligned and integrated with the teaching of phonics concepts
Contents of the Curriculum Kit Include:
- Home Educator’s Guide
- Reinforcement Activity Book
- Magnetic Letter Board
- Flip & Assist Booklet
- Pathways to Reading Homeschool Sentence Strips
- Double-sided ABC Chart
- Mouth Articulation Pictures with Mnemonic
- Vowel Hill and Vowel Town
- Transparent Arrow for Assists
- Vowel Hill and Vowel Town
- 14 Decodable Books
Our curriculum is adapted from Pathways to Reading, a foundational reading curriculum used in classrooms and clinical settings for the last 20 years. Pathways to Reading has been proven in research studies to have a statistically significant impact on student learning.